Programming languages have been, and continue to be, the basis for application-building and problem-solving in many areas, chiefly engineering and, most importantly, electronic systems. The software industry has been linked to the development and challenges of the modern era by contributing to building the knowledge and information society, which requires the utmost attention from the state and academic institutions.
In the present era characterized by the revolution of information and globalization, the software has become a popular commodity and strategic industry, which all countries in the world seek to actively participate in and contribute to its production. Software systems are a system of mathematical and logical techniques and relations based on science and knowledge. They aim to produce software packages, systems and applications that contribute to the re-engineering of procedures and the building of data structures that can understand the need of the times to manage, organize and represent knowledge, thus paving the way for finding real solutions to today’s problems.
With the growing interest in the specialization of electronic systems engineering, and based on the goals and importance of specialization, the administration of the University of Science and Technology, represented by the College of Engineering, sought to establish the Electronic Systems Software Engineering Department. These efforts culminated in the establishment of the department in 2005, according to the several principles and objectives.
- Dissemination of electronic systems engineering concepts and sciences at the level of Sudan.
- Prepare scientifically and professionally qualified cadres in the field of specialization and graduate students at the bachelor’s level.
- Enrich the field of scientific research in the field of electronic system software engineering, and seek to upgrade the division to grant higher scientific degrees in the field of electronic systems software engineering, to achieve scientific breakthroughs and develop the field in the country.
- Capacity development in the analysis, design and development of electronic systems.
- Develop a deep understanding of professional responsibilities related to specialization, including the professional, social, and ethical environment in various fields of work.
In the framework of achieving the goals of the Department and promoting performance, improving the academic level of the students of the Department and enabling them to acquire scientific expertise and technical skills in the field, the management of the College of Engineering and the administration of the Electronic Systems Software Engineering Section has taken the following measures:
- Periodically review the curricula and programs of study to promote them to keep abreast of developments in this field, while continuing to modify the curricula on an ongoing basis.
- Focus on design-oriented subjects in the curricula and graduation projects to develop students’ research and application skills.
- Interest in using and applying computers at seminars and expanded use of teaching aids such as slides, films and electronic shows.
- Give attention to hands-on training and include students’ performance on the final calendar.
- Interest in organizing panel discussions and debates on practical and national topics that require thought and systematic analysis.
- Continuously extrapolating the opinions of graduates and employees on the subjects studied and their suitability for work requirements.
The importance of the electronic systems and software engineering specialization is represented in the following points:
- It is one of the most important disciplines that support the attainment of knowledge in various fields, especially in the engineering field, and also an effective instrument to support decision making.
- Build and manufacture programs, systems and applications that contribute to the completion of engineering and administrative works, and build information banks.
- Production, functionality planning and application of software systems in various fields.
- Analysis, design and development of comprehensive and integrated systems.
- Re-engineering the procedures.
- Investment of software systems through optimal use of system resources.
In the Software Engineering and Electronic Systems Department, we look forward to maintaining excellence and leadership in software engineering and electronic systems.
Leading education and scientific research in the fields of computing and knowledge technology. Contributing to the transfer of our society to the modern level of knowledge through education and innovative scientific research on computing.